Monday, September 5, 2022

Texas Quilt Museum Summer 2022





I’m fortunate to live close to the Texas Quilt Museum. This exhibit was winners of last year’s International Quilt Festival and special exhibits by Ricky Tims and Timna Tarr. 


I’ve been watching this artist emerge in social media. She is @cottonandbourbon on IG. This piece is striking.




 

I was drawn to this quilt because it reminded me of bluebonnets. Some day I will want to add bluebonnets to a quilt. Her technique is meticulous.






This quilt was beautiful and looked like it was fun to make. I felt like I could actually do some of these techniques. The quilting was very creative. It included several specialty stitches with fancy thread. The artist is from Sisters, Oregon.








The Ricky Tims exhibit was inspiring. The hand dyed fabrics add such depth to his quilts. I’ve never seen his quilts up close. I noted that several traditional elements such as flying geese are used but with a touch of improv which creates more movement and looks like much more fun to make. More forgiving to the quilter.





The grouping of colors in this one adds such depth and movement. I like the simplicity of the design but the depth and detail of the color. It would have far less interest without the improv color blocks.




The flying geese in this quilt are not uniform which makes it so much more interesting. So much movement.





The Timna Tarr exhibit was so much fun. Of course, I loved the chickens. Her technique is ingenious and very effective. She has a book coming out in October. I want to get it and take a Zoom class with her.






What a joy to visit this museum.








No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template by DESIGNER BLOGS